Kimberly Clark

Dependent Care Spending Account

Saving for Child and Elder Care Expenses

You may need some help caring for your child or maybe an elderly dependent and those costs can add up quickly. The Dependent Care Spending Account (DCSA) is here to help you set aside money for day care or elder care expenses while also lowering your taxable income.

It’s important to point out that the DCSA isn’t for your dependent’s health-related expenses, the HSA and FSA can help with those expenses.

COVID Relief for DCSAs

New COVID relief was recently passed as part of the IRS Consolidated Appropriations Act 2021. Click here to learn about how the provisions of the act may impact you.

Who Qualifies as an Eligible Dependent?

To qualify for the DCSA, your child or elderly parent must live with you and depend on you for financial support. They must also meet the IRS definition of an eligible dependent, like when you file your taxes.


Contributing to Your DCSA

When you enroll in the DCSA, you choose an annual amount to contribute. The amount you elect is evenly deducted over the course of the year from your paycheck pre-tax.*

  • Minimum: $240/year
  • Maximum: $5,000/year**

*If you’re enrolled in the DCSA, your coverage and payroll deductions will be stopped during a leave of absence per IRS rules. If you want to resume coverage in the DCSA when returning to work, you’ll need to call Empyrean.

**Maximum $3,000 per year, if you're considered a highly compensated employee (HCE). You’re considered an HCE if your prior year gross earnings exceeded the annual amount of $120,000, set by the IRS. If both you and your spouse contribute to a DCSA, consult with a tax advisor to understand how much you can contribute.

Eligible Expenses

  • Nursery school tuition
  • Day care centers (including adult day care facilities)
  • In-home day care providers
  • Before- and after-school care, if not included in tuition

This is just a short list. For a complete list of eligible expenses, review IRS Publication 503. Note: this list is subject to change at any time.

Ineligible Expenses

  • Food, clothing, and entertainment-related expenses
  • Education expenses for a dependent in kindergarten or higher
  • Expenses for any overnight camp, regardless of purpose
  • Expenses reimbursable under any other plan or program
  • Expenses for care provided to a dependent while in a convalescent nursing home
  • Health care expenses
  • Transportation expenses, including chauffeur services

Using Your DCSA Dollars

You use personal funds to pay your dependent care provider. Then, use ConnectYourCare's mobile app or online tool to file a reimbursement claim. You can request direct deposit to get your reimbursement faster.

Call ConnectYourCare 24/7, 365 days a year at 844-594-1228, if you need help using your account or filing claims.

Key Dates

December 31, 2021

Last day to incur eligible expenses for the 2021 DCSA.

March 31, 2022

Last day to file all 2021 DCSA claims.


This site is provided to help Kimberly-Clark (K-C) employees better understand their benefit plans. It does not guarantee coverage under a plan and does not provide complete descriptions of K-C benefit plans. K-C reserves the right to change these plans at any time. In all cases, the formal Plan Documents will govern.

If you are an organized hourly employee covered by these plans, see your HR representative or other person designated at your unit for information on how your plan(s) may differ from the information on this site. You may also call the Benefits Information Line at 800-551-2333. Empyrean representatives are available Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET and Fidelity representatives are available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. ET. From outside the U.S., dial your country’s toll-free AT&T Direct Access number then enter 800-551-2333.